To view details of the development please visit www.balscaddenshd2022.ie/
The development will consist of the demolition of existing structures on site including the disused sports building (c. 604 sq m) on the Balscadden Rd. portion of the site and the Former Baily Court Hotel Buildings on Main St (c. 2051 sq m) and the construction of a residential development set out in 4 no. residential blocks, ranging in height from 2 to 5 storeys to accommodate 181 no. apartments and duplexes with associated residential tenant amenity, 2 no. retail unit and 1 no. café/retail unit.
The site will accommodate a total of 144 no. car parking spaces and 426 no. bicycle parking spaces. Landscaping will include a new linear plaza which will create a new pedestrian link between Main St and Balscadden Rd to include the creation of an additional 2 no. new public plazas and also maintains and upgrades the pedestrian link from Abbey Street to Balscadden Road below the Martello Tower. This is set out as follows:
1. The 4 no. residential buildings range in height from 2 storeys to 5 storeys, accommodating 180 no. apartments comprising 4 No. studios, 62 no. 1 bed units, 89 no. 2 bed units and 25 no. 3 bed units. The breakdown of residential accommodation is as follows:
• Block A is a 3 storey building, including balconies, accommodating 2 no. units;
•Block B is a 2 to 5 storey building, including setbacks, balconies, and external roof terraces at 3rd and 4th floors accommodating 126 no. units;
•Block C is an 3 to 5 storey building, including setbacks and balconies, accommodating 43 no. units;
• Block D is a 3 storey building, including balconies , accommodating 9 no. units;
•Residential Tenant Amenity Space is provided in Blocks B and C, totalling c.427.1 sq.m and Communal External Amenity Space is provided throughout the scheme including at roof level on Block B, totalling c.4,108 sq.m.
2. Non-residential uses comprise of retail unit of c. 106.4 sq.m in Block A at ground level, café/retail unit of c.142.7sq.m in Block C at ground and first floor, retail unit of c. 187.7sq.m in Block D at ground level resulting in a total of c. 436.8 sq.m of non-residential other uses.
3. The development will include a single level basement under Block B, containing 139 car spaces including 7 accessible spaces, plant, storage areas, waste storage areas and other associated facilities. A total of 410 cycle parking spaces are provide for at both basement and ground level, comprising 319 resident spaces and 91 visitor cycle spaces.
4. The scheme provides for a new linear plaza which will create a new pedestrian link between Main St and Balscadden Rd to include the creation of an additional 2 no. new public plazas and also maintains and upgrades the pedestrian link from Abbey Street to Balscadden Road below the Martello Tower.
5. All other ancillary site development works to facilitate construction and the provision of the basement car park, site services,
piped infrastructure, a sub-station, public lighting, plant,signage, bin stores, bike stores, boundary treatments and hard and soft landscaping.
6. It is proposed to reduce the ground levels on the site from c. 34.5m OD to c. 19.975m OD locally under Block C. A single storey basement is proposed under Block B with the existing ground level reduced from c.20m OD to c.17.1m OD. occurring at formation level.
The application contains a statement setting out how the proposal will be consistent with the objectives of the fingal county Development Plan 2017-2023. the application contains a statement indicating why permission should be granted for the proposed development, having regard to a consideration specified in section 37(2)(b) of the Planning & Development Act 2000, as amended, notwithstanding that the proposed development materially contravenes the Fingal county Development Plan 2017-2023, other than in relation to the zoning of the land.
An Environmental Impact Assessment Report and Natura Impact Statement has been prepared in respect of the proposed development.
Applicant Name: Balscadden GP 3 Limited
Planning Reference: SHD/009/21
Registration Date: 28 March 2022.
Application Status: This application was valid on 28 Mar 2022.